Penn State has released an official depth chart for its upcoming Saturday afternoon Big Ten game at Michigan State. The 7-0 Nittany Lions, listed sixth in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and coming off their second victory over a ranked opponent, will face the 4-3 Spartans at 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC.
There are no public changes to the depth chart. A few notes…
– The Nittany Lions continue to stick with an apparent running back rotation, as all four backs remain separated by an ‘OR’ designation. Redshirt sophomore Journey Brown, who started the last five games and totaled 23 yards on five touches against Michigan, continues to appear at the top of that list. Following back-to-back 100-yard rushing games, freshman Noah Cain was limited to five carries for 19 yards versus Michigan but still managed to lead the group in rush attempts. Sophomore Ricky Slade led the rotation with 50 total yards, boosted by a 44-yard sprint. Freshman Devyn Ford carried the ball once for a two-yard gain.
– Redshirt freshmen Justin Shorter and Daniel George remain listed as co-starters the X receiver position. For the first time since exiting early Game 4 against Maryland following a collision, Shorter started against Michigan. Neither player notched a spot in the stat sheet last Saturday and, during the last two games since Shorter returned to action they’ve combined for one reception resulting in 12 yards (Shorter; at Iowa).
– Redshirt sophomore offensive guards Mike Miranda and CJ Thorpe continue to share an ‘OR’ designation at the right guard spot. Miranda has started the last six games at the position, though Thorpe continues to claim substantial snaps.
– An ‘OR’ designation is still situated between Sam linebackers Brandon Smith (freshman) and Charlie Katshir (redshirt freshman), who back up senior starter Cam Brown. Smith has participated in each game this fall. With the exception of Iowa (he was not on the travel roster), so has Katshir.
– Freshmen Michael Johnson Jr. and Taquan Roberson continue to share ‘OR’ status for the No. 3 quarterback job. Johnson was on the travel roster for each of the team’s two road games, while Roberson was absent at Maryland before joining Penn State at Iowa. Neither player has entered a regular-season contest.
Here is the official depth chart:
(* denotes walk-on)